Texas imposes a state sale and use tax of 6.25%on all retail sales, rents and rentals of most goods, as well as services subject to taxes. Local tax authorities can also impose up to 2% sales tax for a collective maximum rate of 8.25%.
You may not receive a notice to remind you to file your return or pay your taxes, so it is important to remember the due dates with the filing frequency assigned to your company by the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts. This way you will be prepared and can plan accordingly. Failure to complete the submission before the assigned date may result in penalties and interest.
Note: If the expiration date falls on a Saturday, Sunday or a legal holiday then date of the report becomes the next business day.
The important deadlines in short to remember for:
- Monthly filers – Every 20th date of the following month (entire sales tax filing be completed before the 20th of the month)
- Quarterly filers: April 22, July 22, October 21 and January 21 of the following year 2021 (For applicable taxes, the quarterly reports expire in April, July, October and January)
- Annual filers – January 21 of the following year (2021)
Ways to choose for Filing process:
- Electronic filing of sales tax is required for companies that have paid $10K or more in the previous fiscal year.
- If you have paid less than $10,000 in the previous fiscal year, you can submit a paper report, but the electronic method is recommended.
- If you have a sales tax permit and do not have to pay taxable sales, you can also do so through Tele file.
Taxpayers will be notified by letter of approval after their application for a sales tax permit whether they file a monthly or quarterly return.
Due Dates of Texas Sales tax
Monthly Filing Due Dates:
Quarterly Filing Due Dates
Annually Filing Due Date
Late filing can result in a $50 fine for late filing. Simplify or make the Texas sales tax comply with the state! We provide sales tax services to companies that administer their own sales taxes. We connect them so that they can fully automate the process of filing and calculating sales taxes.